Monday, July 11, 2011

DIY: finish wood table

Mark's parents gave us a table that Mark's grandpa made. I was super excited to get a piece of furniture he made. His grandpa is an amazing wood worker and has made a lot of different pieces for his family. I was also really excited because I had been wanting a table for our patio but not wanting to spend a lot of money for one. 

The table had never had a finish on it. To protect the table from weather and to make it look new again did the following:

1. sand the table with a finish sander

2. wipe the table with a wet cloth to remove dust
3. hand brush a water based urethane

4. let dry and apply a second coat

This only took me an hour or so and I am very happy with the results. Next step is finding some chairs to go along with it, goodwill hunting to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment